We’ve brought dinosaurs back to life, but who will care for these magnificent and dangerous beasts?
You are paleo-veterinarians, competing to save as many dinos as possible from modern illnesses and injuries. Roll dice, upgrade your hospital, and compete with fellow paleo-veterinarians to treat injured and sick dinosaurs. As long as the dinosaurs don’t wake up during treatment, nothing can go wrong…
In Paleovet, players take turns drafting dinosaur cards from a central river, rolling dice, and spending dice icons for various effects, most notably curing sick and injured dinosaurs. Each dinosaur card lists which icons are needed to cure it, and effect, victory points, its genetic order, and diet.
Dinosaur effects can occur when the dinosaur appears in the center of the table when it is added to your hospital, or while it remains in your hospital. These effects can change gameplay in a variety of ways.
On your turn, you’ll follow a series of steps:
1. Remove a sleep token from each dinosaur in your hospital.
2. If you have fewer than four dinosaur cards in your hospital, select a dinosaur card from the five cards showing in the center of the table. Move it into your hospital.
3. Roll your dice. You begin with three basic dice and can purchase specialty dice later. The dice faces show the three treatments needed to cure dinosaurs, a tranquilizer dart, and a wild icon.
4. You may now spend dice and wild tokens to:
a. Cure dinosaurs by matching the treatment icons on the dice to the treatments listed on the dinosaur card. Each dinosaur requires between 1 and 5 treatments to complete
b. Buy additional dice by spending three matching dice icons
c. Buy a one-use wild token by spending two matching dice icons
d. Buy an upgrade card that provides a permanent beneficial effect by spending two matching icons
e. Spend a tranquilizer dart icon to move an additional dinosaur into your hospital (if you have less than 4 in your hospital already)
5. Any dinosaurs that are not cured and have no sleep tokens on them at the end of your turn wake. When this happens, discard the dinosaur card. If it was a carnivore, you must also discard another dinosaur card in your hospital (if you have any).
6. Any dinosaurs that were cured during your turn are moved into a victory pile. You’ve now scored the points listed on that dinosaur card.
Play continues until one of the card piles in the center of the table is empty. The round is completed, then all players total the points on their cured dinosaurs. The player with the highest score wins.